After Surgery Diet Recommendations
Clear Liquid Diet
Examples Foods & Fluids
The Clear Liquid Diet is comprised of foods and fluids that are clear and liquid at room temperature. While these are good suggestions, you can certainly incorporate any clear liquids (non-alcoholic) that sit well with your stomach after surgery.
- Regular and decaffeinated coffee and tea
- Pulp-free apple, cranberry and grape juices (with or without added water)
- Gatorade or Kool-Aid or other non-carbonated beverages
- Carbonated beverages such as Sprite, 7UP and Sierra Mist
- High calorie protein beverages Resource and Ensure
- Gelatin (such as Jello)
- Clear fat free bouillon or ready-made broths and pureed soups
A Sample Clear Liquid Diet Menu
This diet is not nutritionally complete and should not be followed for more than a few days.
- Breakfast: 1/2 cup cranberry juice, 1/2 cup gelatin, 1 cup chicken broth, 1 cup coffee with 1 tsp. sugar
- Lunch: 1/2 cup apple juice, 1 cup beef broth, 1 cup 7UP
- Dinner: 1/2 cup grape juice, 1/2 cup gelatin, 1 cup Chicken broth, 1 cup tea with 1 tsp. honey